OUR NEW CHILDREN’S COMMUNITY BUS IS NOW IN OPERATION
free transfer service to assist local Sunshine Coast families with disabled kids
The Board Meeting Surf Charity operates a free minibus service specifically to transport kids with mild to moderate disabilities to medical appointments and therapy. The service is for families that generally do not have a vehicle of their own.
The service, run by volunteers, can collect you and your child up from home, take you to your child’s medical appointment and then return you home.
The child being transported must have a medically diagnosed physical or mental disability and a copy of the doctor’s letter is required at time of booking.
Parents will be required to specify the doctor or therapist they are visiting, time of appointment, number of passengers, ages of children and any special conditions we should be aware of. All appointments will be verified with the health practitioner to gain an understanding of preferred drop off and collection location & times.
The family can include the disabled child [under the age of 18yrs], parents or recognised carers and siblings to a maximum of 6 passengers in total.
The vehicle is not wheelchair-compatible but can take a folding wheelchair, pram or walker. An approved car seat is available on request.
A lead time of 5 days is required to schedule the service to work in with other families using the bus.
The parent or carer must have an operating mobile phone on the day of the appointment to stay in touch with the driver.
We are not an ambulance or patient transfer service as we have no medical abilities. If you require that sort of specialised service, please call 000.
The vehicle is operated by volunteer drivers who can assist with; but are not responsible for, getting children and equipment in and out of the vehicle.
Passengers are requested to be courteous to our drivers at all times.
Parents and/or Carers must be prepared to clean up any mess created by your child/children during the transfer.
VOLUNTEER AS A DRIVER AND HELP MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN OUR COMMUNITY
Our community bus service is operated entirely by volunteer drivers under the management of the chapter Chairman, Mark Skinner.
As a volunteer, assisting the Board Meeting Surf Charity, you would be driving members of the community in our vehicle, to and from various appointments, and would be in a position of significant responsibility.
In doing so, you undertake to provide every reasonable service and effort to make this journey as safe and comfortable for the occupants as reasonably possible. Safety and comfort are the two major criteria for our beneficiary family experience.
To work with the charity as a volunteer driver there are 5 mandatory requirements:
- you must have a current Queensland Driver’s Licence
- you must have 100 points of ID*
- you must show proof of your right to work**
- you must hold a current Blue Card – these can be obtained at www.bluecard.qld.gov.au
- you need to have completed the online Worker Orientation Module – Quality, Safety & You. www.ndiscommission.gov.au/workers/training-course
Please appreciate that it is our responsibility and obligation to screen all volunteer applicants in accordance with the NDIS Practice Standards – Worker Screening Rules 2018.
It is expected that you will be alert to any issues, risks or problems that might affect these two criteria, and make decisions and take actions which are reasonable to deal with those issues and risks. If in any doubt, you can ring the Local Chapter Chairman for advice and a decision.
You must complete any reports provided by the Charity, with respect to each journey, and report any incidents or observations of note, using the appropriate form, if one is provided, and by email or text if not.
Please read and understand the Charities driver procedure forms as below:
a) Work, Health and Safety policies and procedures;
b) Complaints management process
c) Incident management process.
d) Accident reporting process
APPLY HERE – Once you have all of this information you can complete the application form online at https://form.jotform.com/202047736324855
* 100 points proof of ID – consists of a combination of at least one primary identification document and one secondary identification document. Secondary identification documents must include your full name, and your photograph or signature.
Primary identification documents (70 points each) include:
- Birth Certificate
- Citizenship Certificate
- Current AHRPA Registration
- Current Passport
- Expired passport that was not cancelled and was current within the preceding two years
Secondary identification documents (40 points each) include:
- Australian Drivers Licence
- Identification card for an Australian public employee
- Identification card issued by the Commonwealth, a State or Territory as evidence of entitlement to a financial benefit
- State or Territory issued personal identification card
- Student card issued by an Australian tertiary education institution
** Right to work in Australia
- Citizens must provide evidence of citizenship in the form of birth certificate, citizenship certificate or passport.
- Non-citizens must provide a copy of their passport or Immi Card.
SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED US GET THIS VEHICLE INTO THE COMMUNITY
- Sunshine Coast Council
- Maroochy RSL
- Impact Wraps
- DB Construct
- Sunny Coast Cabs
- AutoBarn Maroochydore